New couponers are sometimes intimidated when a cashier refuses to accept valid coupons. Many times, coupon shoppers are more familiar with the store's coupon policy than the cashiers. As a frame of reference, I felt it would be beneficial to post coupon policies for many of the stores we frequent here in Las Vegas.
Many couponers have printed the policies and carry them with them when shopping. (Just a suggestion.)
Albertsons promotes a coupon friendly shopping experience and encourages customers to participate in store, manufacturer and internet coupon use. The following policy guidelines are current, but Albertsons may change this policy at any time and policy changes may not be advertised. Coupon redemptions are subject to the policy in effect at time of redemption. The current policy information can be discussed with individual store management but is not posted in each store.
Coupons – Definition: Coupons are a form of tender to reduce an order total based on merchandise purchased. Retailers are not required by law to accept manufacturers’ coupon. Coupons can be in print and/or in electronic form, and may be integrated into the register systems where they are deducted automatically when all purchase requirements are met.
General Coupon Acceptance Guidelines
- Coupons are accepted in accordance to the stated requirements on the coupon at the time of purchase. These requirements include, but are not limited to: product type, flavor(s), size(s), quantities and minimum/maximum dollar purchase limits.
- Coupons are intended for one time use and cannot be redeemed more than once.
- Coupons have no cash value.
- Albertsons only accepts original coupons and does not accept photocopied or reproduced coupons (including multiple prints of same series internet coupons).
- Albertsons does not accept expired coupons. Printed expiration dates are verified in addition to scanning the coupon for validity.
- Coupons stating “on next/future purchase or visit” cannot be used in the transaction in which they are generated. Next purchase is defined as a separate transaction.
- The coupon redemption value on ‘Free’ coupons may not exceed the value of the item. Albertsons will accept ONE manufacturer coupon and ONE store coupon on the same qualifying item. (Twice the Value coupons are considered a store coupon.)
- Albertsons does not accept competitor coupons. (Coupons generated by any competitor with competitor logo are considered competitor coupons.)
- All applicable sales taxes are paid by the customer at the full value of the item.
- Albertsons reserves the right to refuse any coupons at its discretion.
- Coupons issued by manufacturers contain redemption guidelines including, but not limited to: “terms of agreement”, “face value”, “expiration date” and the verbiage “manufacturer coupon”.
- Albertsons adheres to all manufacturer redemption guidelines.
- Albertsons may issue private promotion “manufacturer coupons” in advertisements that state “redeemable only at Albertsons” in which Albertsons is the only retailer that will accept.
- Coupons that exceed the retail value of an item will have the remaining amount applied to the balance of the transaction. In the event a transaction balance results in a "credit", additional items WILL be added/suggested to the order to utilize the remaining value of the coupon. We will not provide any "cash back" on coupons; however we will provide full redemption value.
- Albertsons accepts internet generated manufacturer coupons that have the following conditions:
o Coupons must scan at checkout.
o Coupons must have serial numbers and follow an industry-standard format.
o Coupons must clearly indicate that they are a manufacturer coupon and have a valid manufacture address on the printed coupon.
- Albertsons does not accept internet generated manufacturer coupons that have the following conditions:
o FREE product without a required purchase.
o A redemption value that exceeds $5.00.
o The absence of a clear and scannable UPC bar code.
o Same serial numbers (internet sites print time & date stamps on coupons and limit the number of coupons that can be printed from same computer).
o The absence of a valid manufacturer address on the printed coupon.
- Albertsons offers of Buy One, Get One Free (BOGO) promotions in their weekly advertisement can be combined with Buy One, Get One Free manufacturer coupons to result in BOTH items being Free. The items in the manufacturer coupon must exactly match our weekly advertisement offers and meet the redemption criteria.
CVS/pharmacy Coupon Policy (9/10/11)
The use of ExtraBucks®, CVS/pharmacy and third-party manufacturer coupons is accepted in our retail stores in accordance with the following guidelines.
General guidelines to further understand the application of CVS/pharmacy coupons (ExtraBucks and ExtraCare® Coupons) and third-party manufacturer coupons:
• CVS/pharmacy does not accept expired coupons.
• Coupons and their face value cannot be exchanged for cash or gift cards.
• Competitor coupons are not accepted at CVS/pharmacy.
• CVS/pharmacy does not accept coupons for items not carried in our stores.
• CVS/pharmacy does not currently accept coupon bar code images displayed on a smartphone, iPhone, Droid etc.
• The total value of the coupons may not exceed the value of the transaction. Sales tax must be paid if required by state law.
• Certain CVS/pharmacy coupons may be subject to state sales tax rules similar to third-party manufacturer coupons and sales tax may be charged on pre-coupon price
o Third-party manufacturer coupons are coupons issued by a third party and sales tax may be harged on pre-coupon price.
• Language at the bottom of CVS/pharmacy coupons provides specific coupon acceptance rules.
• Any coupon offer not covered in these guidelines will be accepted at the discretion of CVS/pharmacy management.
• CVS/pharmacy will accept manufacturer coupons for an item that is on sale.
• CVS/pharmacy will not accept percent off coupons for sale and promotional items.
• In the event that any item’s price is less than the value of the coupon,
CVS/pharmacy will accept the coupon only to the price of the item.
CVS/pharmacy does not provide cash back in exchange for any coupons.
• CVS/pharmacy accepts one third-party manufacturer coupon and applicable CVS/pharmacy coupon(s) for the purchase of a single item, unless prohibited by either coupon offer.
• The number of third-party manufacturer coupons used in a transaction may not exceed the number of items in the transaction.
• The coupon amount will be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (For example, a $5.00 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value).
• CVS/pharmacy accepts multiple identical coupons for multiple qualifying items as long as there is sufficient stock to satisfy other customers, unless a limit is specified. Management reserves the right to limit the quantity of items purchased.
• CVS/pharmacy reserves the right to process coupons in any order.
Internet/Print at Home Coupons
• CVS/pharmacy accepts valid internet/print at home coupons containing a barcode.
• CVS/pharmacy will not accept reproductions or rebates.
Smith's Coupon Policy
• The store manager has the right to accept, decline, or limit the use of ANY coupon upon view.
• The store manager has the right to limit the Quantity of coupons/items used/purchased in a single transaction, by a single customer, or in a single day.
• Limit one (1) manufacturer coupon per item purchased.
• Limit one (1) store coupon per item purchased.
• Limit one (1) manufacturer and one (1) store coupon can be used on the same item.
• Coupons cannot be used on “Free” items.
• Does Not accept coupons that are expired.
• Amount refunded cannot exceed the cost of the item.
• Customer is responsible for tax on all items even “Free” items.
Target Coupon Policy
Coupons are a great way to save even more when shopping with us, and it's easy to use them at our stores.
• Target accepts one manufacturer coupon and one Target coupon for the same item (unless prohibited)
• Super Target coupons can be used in any Target store if the store carries the item
• We gladly accept valid internet coupons
Because of the variety of coupons available to our guests, we do have some guidelines for how coupons can be redeemed at Target.
When accepting coupons, we use the following guidelines:
• We accept two kinds of coupons: Target-issued coupons and manufacturer-issued.
• We'll accept one Target coupon and one manufacturer coupon for the same item, unless either coupon prohibits it.
• Coupon amount may be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied.
• We can't give cash back if the face value of a coupon is greater than the purchase value of the item.
• We can't accept coupons from other retailers, or coupons for products not carried in our stores.
• All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier while you're checking out.
Von's Coupon Policy
(as of 3/4/10)
Coupon Guidelines and Policies
Manufacturer Coupon Guidelines
* Manufacturer coupons duplicated in any form will not be accepted
* Vons reserves the right to accept, limit, or refuse a Manufacturer's coupon issued by another supermarket
* Applicable sales tax will be charged on all Manufacturer's coupons
* Use of Manufacturer's coupons are limited to two (2) coupons on the same two items per order, per household, per week including Buy One Get One Free offers and are limited to retail sales only
Store Coupon Policy
* Store coupons duplicated in any form will not be accepted
* Store coupons may not be combined with other Store coupons.
* Store coupons may not be doubled.
* A Store coupon may be combined with a manufacturer coupons for the applicable item but may not exceed the retail price of the item.
Internet Coupon Policy
* Do not accept coupons that do not have a manufacturer's bar code or manufacturer's redemption instructions.
* Accept printable coupons only if they scan properly at checkout.
* Do not accept more than one copy of the same coupon per customer.
* Do not accept coupons for Free Product (other than Buy One Get One Free Offer that requires a purchase of like item).
* Do not accept coupons for more than $5 value or for more than 50% of the product's retail price, whichever is lower.
* Do not accept printable internet coupons that do not have an easy to read expiration date or extends more than twelve weeks.
* All coupons/limits/dollare amounts are subject to the discretion of the store management.
Walgreen's Coupon Policy
As a customer-focused retailer, Walgreens encourages the use of coupons by our customers in our retail stores, in accordance with the following guidelines.
- All valid coupons should be presented to the cashier at the time of checkout.
- Walgreens does not accept expired coupons.
- Coupons and their face value cannot be exchanged for cash or gift cards.
- Competitor coupons are not accepted at Walgreens.
- Walgreens cannot accept coupons for items not carried in our stores.
Any coupon offer not covered in these guidelines will be accepted at the discretion of Walgreens management.
- Walgreens will accept manufacturer coupons for an item that is on sale.
- In the event that any item's selling price is less than the value of the coupon, Walgreens will only accept the coupon in exchange for the selling price of the item. Coupon redemption can never exceed the selling price of an item and no cash back is ever provided in exchange for any coupons.
- When purchasing a single item, Walgreens accepts one manufacturer coupon and applicable Walgreens coupon(s) for the purchase of a single item, unless prohibited by either coupon offer.
- The coupon amount must be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (For example, a $5.00 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value).
- When purchasing multiple items, Walgreens accepts multiple identical coupons for multiple qualifying items as long as there is sufficient stock to satisfy other customers, unless a limit is specified. Management reserves the right to limit the quantity of items purchased.
- When items are featured in a Buy One, Get One Free promotion, up to two coupons can be used against the items being purchased, as long as the net price does not go below zero for the items being purchased.
- Sales tax must be paid for any Buy One, Get One Free coupon offers, if required by applicable state laws.
- Walgreens accepts valid internet/print at home coupons.
Earning Register RewardsTM
- Register RewardsTM will only print for in-stock merchandise during the promotional period.
- Register RewardsTM can only be earned for eligible items. No substitutions.
- There is a limit of one Register RewardsTM (RR) printed per offer per customer per transaction.
- Customers redeeming a Register RewardsTM against the same offer may not receive another RR.
- Customers redeeming a Register RewardsTM against the same offer may not receive another RR.
- Refer to Register RewardsTM coupon for expiration date.
- The RR coupon value cannot exceed the total purchase amount. No cash back and no cash value for RR coupon.
- The number of manufacturer coupons, including RR manufacturer coupons, must not exceed the number of items in the transaction.
- Register RewardsTM must be forfeited if the qualifying merchandise is returned.
- Register RewardsTM cannot be used toward the purchase of gift cards and pre-paid cards.
- Register RewardsTM can be redeemed for eligible items only. Ineligible items include but are not limited to:
Special event/entertainment tickets or passes
Gift cards/phone cards/prepaid/Green DotTM cards
Prescription Savings Club" memberships
Health care services, including immunizations
Any items prohibited by law
Walmart Coupon Policy
Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):
Manufacturer coupons (Cents Off)
Free merchandise (or manufacturer's Buy-One-Get-One-Free) coupons
Pharmacy (Advertising and Promotional) coupons
Soft drink container caps
The following are guidelines and limits:
Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise we sell and only when presented at the time of purchase.
Coupons should have an expiration date and be presented within the valid dates. Walmart will not accept expired coupons.
Internet coupons should be legible and say "Manufacturer Coupon." There should be a valid remit address for the manufacturer and a scannable bar code.
Only one coupon per item is permitted.
Use of 40 or more coupons per transaction will require approval by Customer Service Manager.