Monday, January 4, 2010

Organizing Your 'Other' Coupons

This is my handy dandy printable coupon holder! It goes with me wherever I go (in my purse). It holds all sorts of coupons:
  • Printable coupons from the Grocery Smarts website and from my favorite product websites
  • Peelies - coupons that are attached to products I have already purchased. (You may ask why I didn't use the coupon with the original purchase. Good question. These peelies are considered to be manufacturer coupons and I was already using a coupon for a larger cents-off value, so I saved the peelie for a purchase at a later date!)
  • Coupons found in the Sunday magazines (Weekend USA & Parade) that aren't referenced in the Grocery Smarts listings.
  • Coupons meant to be cut from the packaging on products I've purchased and consumed (cereal boxes, for instance)
  • CRT's - Cash Register Receipt coupons - those coupons printed at the register for cents off future purchases.
Because it's the beginning of a new year and I'm in an organizing mood, I purged my coupon holder of coupons that had expired. In the process, I found I had missed using some of my coupons because I'd forgotten I had them. I don't like leaving money on the table! I want to save as much as possible at all times.
So I listed the remaining coupons on my computer and printed a copy for my coupon holder. When I need a coupon, I won't waste time looking through the folder. I'll just reference the list at the front and grab the coupons I need. When I use a coupon, I'll put a line through it on the list.

The expiration date for each coupon is listed so when I update the folder, once every one or two weeks, it'll be easier to identify the expired coupons without having to look at each one.  Then I can update my list by adding any coupons I've clipped and omitting the expired or used coupons.

I realize to some this may seem a bit overboard in the organizing department. But I know it'll save me TIME by being more organized and MONEY by not missing coupon savings in the future. I'm all for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment