Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Couponing - Yes Or No?

My husband swears we would be millionaires if we only had Grocery Smarts and the internet when our children were younger!  It still amazes me that so many shoppers think couponing is not worth the time and effort.  Are you kidding me???  I can prove the savings in both time and money:

The reasons some give for NOT couponing:
  1. Couponing takes too much time
  2. You only save a few cents - it's not worth the effort
  3. I can't find coupons for the products I use
  4. You have to buy a newspaper
  5. Shopping takes longer
  6. It's embarrassing to use coupons
Let's take my shopping trip yesterday.  I spent $45.18.  I saved $109.04 (that works out to 59%).  But forget the percentage -- that's $109 in real money!  It took less than an hour to go over the Grocery Smarts list and clip the coupons I needed.  I only spent an hour shopping because I had list in hand and only purchased items on the list.  I earned over $50/hour by saving over $100 in 2 hours time.  That shoots down the first two points!

Can you find coupons for items you need and use?  Most definitely YES!  There are coupons for just about everything.  The trick is to find the coupons you need WHEN you need them.  I never take the time to clip and file my coupons individually.  I save and file my newspaper inserts (the Smart Source, Red Plum and P&G) and clip coupons only when I take them to be redeemed at the store.  (BIG savings in time!)  So I have a collection of coupons.   You want to use your coupon when you can get the greatest value -- when that item is on SALE!  So check your Grocery Smarts list, clip the coupons you need (when you need them) and head to the store.  EASY!

Do you have to buy a newspaper?  Well, it sure makes things easier.  Yes, you could print many of your coupons but it seems that's a more expensive option considering ink and paper (not to mention TIME)!  My five Sunday newspapers cost me $4.75 each week with the Grocery Smarts low subscription prices.  If I bought them on the newsstand they would cost $17.50!  (I love to save money on EVERYTHING!)  When shopping yesterday, I used $67.50 in coupons.  In one shopping trip.  The savings in that one trip paid for my five newspaper subscriptions for 3 months!  And I save an average of 55% every week!  The newspaper pays for itself in savings.  So I'm happy to buy the newspaper - it's a tool in my savings arsenal!

Shopping takes longer, and it's embarrassing to use coupons.  The time in the store is actually minimized because you'll be shopping with your plan in hand!  You know exactly what you're buying - you're in and out.  And really, it's not embarrassing to use coupons!  I don't think other shoppers really notice until they hear the cashier tell you how much you saved.  Then they want to know how you did it and where you get your coupons so they can do it, too!  The cashiers in the stores I shop have come to know I'm a couponer and are just as excited to see my savings as I am.

Our family believes in saving our hard-earned money whenever possible.  Couponing when shopping for groceries, household items and personal care products is a good fit for us.  The extras come when we can also save with coupons for clothing, toys, office supplies and electronics.  Why pay full price for items when a coupon is available?  It's like walking right by a $10 bill lying on the the sidewalk.  Just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment