Saturday, November 7, 2009

$30 Before or After Coupons?

This week's Albertsons General Mills promo has stirred some controversy with local couponers. On Wednesday morning (as posted earlier) I was able to generate three $15 bonuses at the Albertsons on E. Charleston and Sloan. Each of my multiple transactions totaled just over $30 BEFORE coupons were deducted. Each transaction generated the $15.00 catalina coupon. I've received calls and have been following the posts on the Pinching Your Pennies forum concerning shoppers who were not receiving the $15 when their orders were under $30 once coupons were deducted from their totals. I can't explain the difference in policy from my early transactions and those of other shoppers later in the week.

The ad states "Minimum purchase requirement excludes manufacturer and store coupons". I think I was fortunate early in the sale (Wednesday morning) to receive the deal I received. It's possible Albertsons corrected the glitch and is now following the policy stated on the coupon.

I understand the frustration in fine tuning your grocery list to hit the $30 mark before coupons and then not getting the bonus. Lesson learned. SO, for the remainder of this promotion (and in the future with similar coupon restrictions) we need to closely follow the store's requirements to receive bonuses. There is no benefit in our arguing with store personnel who are only doing their job; showing courtesy is always the best policy.
UPDATE!
Saturday afternoon I spoke with the store manager at my Albertsons. I had tested the current bonus promo by purchasing enough promo items to total over $30 after coupons had been deducted. The catalina did not print. The manager (who was so apologetic) said by using any coupon in your transaction, that triggers the catalina machine to not print the bonus. So it didn't matter that $30 in promo items had been purchased above the minimum purchase requirement. If buying promo items, she said, I should not use my coupons and receive the catalina bonus -- then go to the customer service counter and show my coupons and receive the coupon amount in cash. What a hassle!
When I returned home, I called the Albertsons corporate office because I am concerned this may be the new coupon policy at Albertsons. Corporate office said under their store policy, there was no reason the bonus should not have been given. They referred me to the catalina offices, which were closed on Saturday evening. I will be calling the catalina office on Monday morning. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment