Monday, November 2, 2009

Organizing Your Coupons

I'm often asked how I organize my coupons -- so here's a little peek into my coupon world. When I first began received multiple Sunday newspapers (I get 4 papers each Sunday but have recently added another subscription for 5 total) I kept them in sheet protectors in a three-ring binder. All the Smart Source inserts for one date were kept in one sleeve, all the Red Plum inserts were kept together in another and so on. The most recent inserts were placed at the front of the notebook.


As you might imagine, it wasn't too long before my notebook was bursting at the seams. The sheet protectors were sliding all over the place and it just wasn't working for me anymore. So I bought a plastic file box. All the Smart Source inserts for a particular date are clipped together and each packet is filed in a folder. I keep all the Smart Source inserts in one file, all the Red Plums in another. There is no need to label the files -- the Smart Sources are in the front, the Red Plums behind them and any miscellaneous inserts (P&G, Kelloggs, etc.) are kept behind those. These inserts are also filed by date so they're easy to pull when I'm ready to clip coupons.



Just for my convenience, I bought a filing box with a separate lift top with several small compartments. Everything I need is in one place. There are micro binder clips so I can keep my inserts together; these binder clips are also used for clipping my coupons to the back of my grocery shopping list. The scissors for clipping and the Sharpie for marking my inserts are also close at hand. This filebox sits under my computer desk for maximum convenience.


Keeping my coupons organized and having the tools at hand have saved an enormous amount of time! We need to remember - while trying to save money (which is important), time is also a valuable commodity. Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment